W. H. (Uncle Billy) Gibbons
From there he went to San Antonio, working as he traveled. He spent time at each place until he felt the need to move on. In 1870, he left San Antonio with 1,000 head of Spanish Marino sheep. After eighteen months, Gibbons arrived at a small tract of land of one hundred and forty acres facing Brady Creek. That was the beginning of the Gibbons Ranch.
He sheared all the goats by hand during the first few years. To sell his wool, he had to haul it to Austin by ox-wagon. It took from twelve to thirty days to go there depending on the weather and the rivers.
He married Miss Mollie Taylor in 1880. She was a member of one of the pioneer families in Richland Springs. They had 13 children, of which 12 of them were twins. Only one set of twins survived childhood plus the single child.
The first Boy Scout summer camp was held on his ranch in the summer of 1931 by the Pecan Valley Council. Uncle Billy Gibbons, as he was affectionately known to the Scouts, visited the camp several times while they were in session. Gibbons was so impressed by what he saw during that week of camp that he told them they could have a free 99 year lease for that spot for a summer camp. He also gave the Scouts permission to explore the rest of his land. Unfortunately the lease was never signed by Gibbons before his untimely death. However, thanks to his son, John Gibbons, the Scouts are still camping on the Gibbon's Ranch on a 300 acre camp some three miles up Brady Creek from the old Camp Billy Gibbons..
Billy Gibbons was quite successful in his ranching business and owned over 36,000 acres at the time of his death in the spring of 1932. At the time of his death, he owned a hotel in El Paso, TX, a farm in Post, TX, and a bank in Richland Springs, TX. His wife, Mollie, passed away in 1930 just a couple of years prior to his death.
W. H. (UNCLE BILLY) GIBBONS
Note: The 99-year lease was never signed by W. H. Gibbons. He passed away before they could get his signature on the document. In 1938, a 25-year lease was signed by John W. Gibbons for use of the 25 acres of land, known as the "old" Camp Billy Gibbons. Go HERE to see copy of the lease.