Camps In This Area
When camps first started, prior
to the organization of councils, they would have them anywhere someone
would let them use their property. Often they would change locations
every year or so. Most of the early camps were held for ten days
and were ran more like army camps than we know of Scout camps today.
Later, there were a group of volunteers and professionals that would go
from camp to camp to help run them during the summer.
Power - 1912
Twelve Scouts left on the morning
of June 10, 1912 and hiked to their one week camp on the M. A. McLean's
place on Clear Creek, about one mile below Dublin bridge from Brownwood,
Texas. The Scouts, dressed in regulation khaki uniforms carrying
knapsacks and canteens arrived in camp about 4:30 pm that afternoon.
They were under the supervision of Scoutmaster John Power and Assistant
Scoutmaster Walter Ford according to a story in the
named the camp
after their Scoutmaster who took the
long hike with them.
According to Rev. Power,
"The party started out at 7:50 o'clock and walked steadily for an hour,
after which they took a fifteen minutes' rest. At 10:30 they stopped
for lunch and a long rest, which put in them condition to travel farther.
Setting off again they came very near completing their journey by 4:30,
but some of the number were too tired to walk the last mile and gladly
availed themselves of the opportunity offered by Mr. Henley to ride.
Seven, however, spurned all offers to ride and walked steadily along beside
the Scout Master to the very end of the journey.
"The first work by the boys
was the putting up of tents, then there was a break for the water.
Swimming time is limited to fifteen minutes and at the expiration of that
time each and every lad had to leave the water and spend like time on the
banks before they could return to the water.
"This morning the youngsters
were put through a primary military drill and then allowed to go swimming.
Quite a bit of work has been mapped out for the youngsters while they are
having their fun and when they return to the city they should be eligible
for the tenderfeet class of Scouts."
One of the greatest treats,
according to the Scouts, was the visit of the Girl Scouts on their last
full day in camp. Miss Agnes Power took a party of girls to Brookesmith,
where they were met with vehicles and taken to the camp to spend the day.
"Uncle Tom" Ragan provided fish for lunch. They had fruit and things sent
down from town to make the day a regular picnic for all in attendance.
On the last day, Saturday,
June 15, some of the Scouts left Camp Power at 6:30 in the morning and
hiked back to town, arriving about one-o'clock. Not all the Scouts
could hike that far and came home on the train the night before.
The Scouts spent the week "playing at games, in drilling and swimming,
and they had a good time." Most of the Scouts hiked back to town
at the end of the week's camp but a few road the train into town.
Known Scout Camp
The second known Scout Camp
held in West Texas was held August 28 through August 31, 1917, at the then
Baptist Encampment grounds in Christoval, Texas on the southern branch
of the Concho River. Troop 1, under the leadership of O. W. Caldwell,
Scoutmaster, spent four days there. They were the host to every boy in
San Angelo, TX, that could arrange to take an outing at that time and who
would subject themselves to the main Scout rule at camp - "Do right."
Nothing is known about the camp itself except that we know from the location
and from future camps that they did Scoutcraft and of course went swimming
in the Concho River, probably several times a day.
are presently six Scout Camps and one Aquatic Base in operation for summer
camps within the four Councils of West Texas. We have here a brief
history of each of those camps and well as many other active camps held
prior to that time. Two of those past camps,
Louis Farr and Camp Fawcett,
were operated for many years. Camp Louis Farr reverted back to the
original landowners and several of the buildings are still on the grounds
such as the dining hall and caretaker's home. Camp Fawcett is no
longer used for summer camp but is still used for weekend activities and
camping. They were both in the Concho Valley Council. Another
camp, Camp Martin was operated for
five years as a part of the old Oil Belt
Lake Sweetwater is still available for weekend primitive camping.
At one time, from 1933 - 1954, it was the flagship summer camp of the Buffalo
Trail Council. But, after the camp and county became a part of the
Chisholm Trail Council, and now the Texas Trails Council, its use as a
camp has declined.
Billy Gibbons | Camp Sol
Mayer | Davis Mountain Scout
Camp | Camp Post | Camp
Lake Sweetwater |
Tonkawa | Hughes Aquatic
Base | Camp Haynes | Camp
Tres Ritos | Other Camps
Last updated: March
to Home Page